BLOG

Be A Light Angel

27/11/2013

As the days are getting darker much more quickly, we’d like to continue raising awareness amongst cyclists of the importance of using lights at night. It is certainly a safety issue, but also a legal issue as you have to, by law, have a front white light and rear red light on your bike.

We’ve noticed a few lightless folk out there recently so we’re recreating an initiative we had a couple of years ago by giving out bunches of lights to generous cyclists who stop their lightless peers to give them a set of our lights. We’re calling them our Light Angels.

From 2-20 December 2013, if you’d like the chance to pass on some of our lights to other cyclists and you live, work, study or cycle through the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea or Hammersmith and Fulham, then sign up to be a Light Angel and we’ll post 5 sets of lights to you to get you started.

To sign up to be a Light Angel, all you have to do is:

- leave a comment below

OR

- email us at cycling@rbkc.gov.uk putting ‘Light Angels’ in the subject line and include your postal address

We’ll then get in touch…

Please note that you can contact us for lights to be a Light Angel while stocks last between 2-20 December 2013…

18 comments

1. Luke Milam says:

Nov 29, 2013

As I drive around Kensington and Chelsea and Hammersmith and Fulham every day and night whilst working, I see countless cyclists without lights. I feel I would be the perfect light angel!! The amount of lights I could give out along the length of the new kings road would unreal!!

2. Stuart Fisher says:

Nov 29, 2013

I cycle putney to King’s Road and back every day. Extremely busy cycle route. There are lots of people with no lights, especially at dusk when people probably thought they wouldn’t need them but got caught out with early sunset.

3. RBKC says:

Nov 29, 2013

Thanks for your feedback Luke and Stuart. i’ve emailed you both separately.

4. Frank Roche says:

Nov 29, 2013

I work around White City and I’m amazed at some of the cyclists without lights passing along Wood Lane and Shepherds Bush; especially the younger cyclists.

Very happy to hand out free lights as they stop at light along Wood Lane.

5. Mike Levett says:

Nov 30, 2013

Great idea guys. I work at the Royal Brompton Hospital so would be happy to help.

6. Geoff Davis says:

Nov 30, 2013

I live very close to a very popular signed cycle route and I reckon that I could give away some light sets in not quite the blink of a blinky light, but near enough that I would not freeze during the effort.

7. Andy says:

Dec 2, 2013

Hi I live in Leicester. Wish we had Light Angels here – I would help – Far too many people riding around in the dark with no lighting -

8. Bikeminded says:

Dec 2, 2013

Thanks to everyone who has commented here. I’ve emailed you re the lights. Thanks for supporting Bikeminded and for volunteering to be Light Angels! Bikeminded.

9. tom fox says:

Dec 9, 2013

d(.I cycle up and down Ladbroke Grove every (dark) day. There are quite a few cyclists around here without any lights. or helmets etc

10. jay says:

Dec 17, 2013

I’m the King of SE23 and i’d like to pass some Lights around

11. Declan McDonald says:

Dec 17, 2013

I cycle through part of Hammersmith and Fulham. I see a fair few cyclists with no lights, one light or very dim lights and often think I should say or do something! This could be my chance!

12. Jonathan Wright says:

Dec 18, 2013

I cycle around Hammersmith and Fulham and Kensington and Chelsea every week. Most people have a back red light but lots don’t have front white light. Cars don’t just come at you from behind guys!
    If there are any lights left I’d love to hand them out.

13. Peter T says:

Dec 19, 2013

This is a good initiative. What do you train Bike Angels to say as they hand over the lights? Do they say something like “its not about you, its about the other road users who don’t want to be left with bad feeling if they hit you. Will you put these on for them?” Do Bike Angels get a commitment from the recipient of the lights to continue to use them? I feel this needs to be a negotiation and if they won’t commit to lighting up, save your money. Thanks.

• RBKC says:

Dec 19, 2013

Hi Peter. Thanks for your comment. In the Light Angels project, we’ve left it to the Light Angel volunteers themselves to see what’s most appropriate in the circumstances when passing on the lights.

14. RBKC says:

Dec 19, 2013

Thank you all for your comments and for volunteering to be Light Angels. I’ve emailed you all and posted lights to you.

15. mel alblas says:

Dec 20, 2013

such a good idea! have emailed, hope i can be a last minute light angel for the Hyde park area! so dangerous even with lights so everyone needs a light angel! :o )

Happy Christmas and stay safe!
    Mel

16. Bikeminded says:

Dec 20, 2013

Hi Mel. I’ve emailed separately and put some lights in the post. Merry Christmas to you too!

17. zoha says:

Jan 19, 2014

You are the angel of cycling.. esp for those who have to o through the turmoil of passing through the busy Kensington and Kings road for work.. I wish you continue with the Lights donation thinggy